Life Drawing 1...2.0.

Life drawing- it is what it says it is. You literally draw people (who are preferably alive). Sitting at public places, drawing humans have...

Life drawing- it is what it says it is. You literally draw people (who are preferably alive). Sitting at public places, drawing humans have already proved to me how difficult life drawing can be, since humans naturally move a lot, and also, the face of "why-is-this-weird-kid-staring-at-me" that they pull when they notice that you're doing sketches of them in your tiny little non-discreet-but-fairly-obvious sketchbook.




Then it's a whole different ball game when life models step in and pose naked for you (like that beautiful gif). I do know that some of my friends who aren't in the art circle would constantly go, "Oh my god, what?! You're drawing naked people? Ew! WHY!" 

Yeap, I get that a lot. I didn't get the point of having to draw naked people in the first place. Also, back where I'm from, when I did my Foundation in Communication Design, yeah... sure, we had life drawing- but it was sort of drawing your course-mates (like what we do when we don't have a model for the life drawing session), and to be honest, it gets boring because, let's face it, we aren't that much of extroverts ourselves to do very dynamic poses for a full 5 minute of not moving and wobbling without crying. 

So... during our very first session of life drawing class, our model called in sick. I mean, I don't blame the model, because the weather was awful that day too, so, bless her. Unfortunately, that meant us, students, had to model a little. 

And do you know what's more unfortunate than not having a model and a bad weather day? Swapped and hopefully-recycled drawings. I accidentally swapped my drawings with another friend of mine, and when I came home to check on my drawings to take pictures of it, I realised it wasn't mine. So, to cut the story short, my drawings lived a very short life. I can only hope that my friend threw it into the recycling bin, rather than the "general waste" bin, so my drawings can live a new life. -sobs-

SO. WHAT EVEN IS THE POINT OF THIS POST?

Well, of course we had more life drawing sessions. The following pictures are sketches from the second life drawing class that we had.


1) Warm up sessions. Now that I look at it, the proportions are so terrible. -facepalms-



2) This one was fun. Basically, we went easel to easel, changing other's drawings for like four rounds (or three...or five?) adjusting whatever we see that isn't quite right. 
Kathy mentioned that as animators, we constantly get jobs, and since we work in teams, editing is crucial. So, this sorts of helps us practice with seeing what is wrong, etc., since if you didnt know already, seeing/doing too much of one thing, your brain and eyes can somehow create an illusion that everything is 100% alright, but in actual fact... hahahaha.



3) This one was a "look-at-the-model-and-not-at-your-drawing" drawing. Honestly, this frustrated me so much, because I really wanted to look at what I was drawing to correct it. In all fairness, this looked pretty alright, and it was a good lesson.



4) I mean, am I even gonna have to talk about how wrong this all looks? 
a) proportion b) proportion c) proportion



5) Quick poses after a short break that we had.



6) I wanna say this was a 30 minute pose...but don't take my word on it. Working on black paper was pretty cool. Although... I can honestly admit, I can't really see the 'light' difference that well. Could I blame the lights for spreading the light evenly? (I'm kidding). My eyes are crappy eyes, but just gotta work on it. & yes, I know that foot looks awfully weird. 



Until the next life drawing rant- have a nice day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images