Illusion of movement.

I've loved stop-motion since about a year ago when I was working on a stop-motion project with a group of my course mates in our foundat...

I've loved stop-motion since about a year ago when I was working on a stop-motion project with a group of my course mates in our foundation year. It sort of came about when the final edit was completed and we viewed it the entire video together with our lecturer and also with course mates from the entire year of that foundation course.

[-sneaks in a little self-promo-]

Not gonna lie, the process was tedious, tiring and frustrating, especially when you look through each frame and find that you should have added another frame in, and you had to try to mimic the set-up just to get that extra shot, in order for things to look more smooth-sailing.

[That plane is me/the entire project when one frame goes wrong.]


I thought we'd be able to mess around with puppets on our first assignment, but we had to do two stop-motion tasks of two pendulums instead. I guess, the foundation/basics are always more important before heading towards the big stuffs.

Here we go:

1) Free swinging pendulum:


2) Mechanical pendulum (a.k.a. in a grandfather clock):


I made a silly mistake of forgetting to bring my USB flash drive to class as I really wanted Ann to give some feedback on the pendulum swings. Overall, I found that being able to use the stop-motion bay with the right equipment and not having to rely on your phone being tied onto a block of wood, it's a great feeling. 

I like how we had to analyse grandfather clocks through videos as the free swinging pendulums can be found anywhere in the Internet universe. Thanks to <Jamie>, who shared with me a particular video which showed the movement of the pendulum in a grandfather clock. I can't seem to locate it in the YouTube-sphere... sorry about that! On a bright side of things, it gave me an insight as to how wide the points were to be apart of each other within each frame.


Have a nice day!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Flickr Images