*intense drumrolls for BFX*

As some of you may know, BFX has been an annual competition and festival since 2012. I remember seeing a group of current (2018) third years...

As some of you may know, BFX has been an annual competition and festival since 2012. I remember seeing a group of current (2018) third years making a intro video of themselves to be submitted to the competition, last year (2017). And they were better known as Team Sponge (shoutout to Thomas Wallis, Ryan Orgill, Amy Lucas, Daniel Martin & Luke O'Sullivan) on the competition.

Ever since hearing of their success story and what amazing fun that they have had in the competition, the time then came to us second years to receive a briefing from Sofronis (also known as Saf), via a Skype call in the very fancy SoFT Cinema. During that call, it really intrigued everyone from our year group and needless to say, people started shuffling into groups, planning what they were going to compile into their showreels for their applications.

I alongside with my team have already started planning for BFX ever since second year started. So, for us, it was really quite intriguing to see so many people so interested in the competition as we didn't know that there were that much interests going round. Despite it being a competition to be picked and every group having an equal fighting chance, everyone was still helping each other out and reviewing each person's showreels before they submitted. Truth be told, everyone else's showreels were amazing! I remember seeing some of them and I was just stunned by it and amazed to see how far everyone has progressed since the start of first year.

Then came the time when submissions for applications closed (28th Feb). And throughout the week, there was the sudden snow that hit us all (which I might add: was a hell lot of fun for us but not for the university, hahaha) and we all thought that this might delay in the results of the announcement of the shortlisted groups for the BFX competition. Turns out: it didn't delay anything at all.

On the 5th of March (p.s.: my birthday), as usual we were all busy doing work and I was normally just working from home. Out of nowhere, this unknown number dialled me and I ignored it because I thought it was one of those "Did you get into an accident recently, Miss?" calls (those are very creepy- what is up with those?). Turns out, that number dialled one of my team mates as well but she ignored it too because she, too, thought it was one of those calls. Then another of my team mate messaged me and asked if I were busy and wanted to let me know about something. The next minute, we were all literally screaming in our dedicated group chat for BFX, realising that we got in. So, my main question was: Was this a birthday gift? Were we on some prank show? Were we lucky or were we lucky?

Needless to say, I was stunned. I wasn't that confident in my skills especially when in comparison with everyone else's showreels that I have seen, so this was definitely... unexplainable. BUT, I'm excited to start on this journey and meet new people, work with clients and also work alongside industry mentors (we do that here in Falmouth University too, but... I'm not going to complain of having more nice things, haha).

So, here's the showreel that I submitted to them:



And so, this is where and how Team Egg's journey began...

Starring:
- Ting Loh
- Amanda Chin (hey, that's me!)
- Kuan Dang
- Kieran Trerise
- Samantha Zaleski

Will keep you guys updated!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images