Trusting your instincts.

In our very first few stop-motion sessions with Ann, she told us to take turns in trying out what they called as a 'blind animation test...

In our very first few stop-motion sessions with Ann, she told us to take turns in trying out what they called as a 'blind animation test', whereby you cover the laptop screen with a piece of paper or whatever you can find to cover the screen up, to prevent you from looking at what you've just taken as a shot.

It sounded fun, and received lots of oohs and ahs from us all. It was also something new that we needed to ease us back into that stop-motion routine. For this exercise, I used one of the puppets that we used in our first term (the robotic ones). I really like how crazy their hair looks, along with their crazy eyes and cool outfits.


Here goes:


Before even taking the first frame, I was just jumping up and down trying to calm myself down as the urge of looking at the screen was intense. Not gonna lie, but I definitely felt almost as anxious as the puppet who lost his keys. 

This was also shot on ones and I honestly feel like I'm slowly getting a hang of it, which is great! It was kind of frustrating when one of the joints just snaps into a position that costs you two to three ones-shots which makes the animation jumpy. 

I also realised that this exercise made me trust my instincts a little more when it came to animating with a puppet. It also made sure that I made my puppet have some emotions which us animators have to convey to our audiences.

All in all, this was an eye-opening class exercise which I truly enjoyed, while working alongside with the others! 

Have a nice day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images