'Dance of Life': Concept Art

Concept arts... are always a tricky thing for me. I decided to give it a go and see what I come up with. Initially, when we were giving our ...

Concept arts... are always a tricky thing for me. I decided to give it a go and see what I come up with. Initially, when we were giving our practice pitch, the lecturers said that the concept art didn't seem 'dance-y' enough, which, ironically– was in the title of the project. So, Emma, Ting and I started coming up with ideas, making sure that each concept art was a dance pose that's not only exaggeration of what the character was feeling but also ensuring that there was a constant dance pose or movement through the film that the audience can perceive that the film would be a dance film.

Here are some of the concept arts that I have done:










The minimalistic approach made the concept arts fairly easy to do as there weren't as much details that needed attention other than the pose that was very important. I also tried out having the female character in white lines when she's with the male character, to ensure that there will be a difference and also that it'll be easier to extinguish between characters.

The trickiest thing about this style is that we wouldn't know how much is too much and how little would be too little. And how much detail would we have to cut out? Another question that would constantly pop into my head would be, if we were to make this film in this style, would we really require a whole year to animate a 3-minute dance film?

But then again... what would I know! Overall, this was a fun little project and it was also amazing to see everyone else's pitches and what interesting ideas that everyone has. I honestly wonder how some people manage to come up with their ideas– it's all so intriguing!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images